Story & Pictures are courtesy of Petpositive
- The special committee under Liu will be providing the names of the NGOs for each of the local councils.
- The committee will also be involved in education programmes. Liu immediately set aside RM10,000 for the committee. A special national forum is being planned for all local councils throughout the country in June of this year. The purpose of this special forum is to encourage all other local councils to also set up disability committees of their own.
- A special booklet on how to set up disabled committees in local councils will also be undertaken soon by the special committee.
- Plans are also underway to look into a welfare allowance for all disabled persons in the state. It was suggested that the Selangor government look into coming up with a monthly allowance of at least RM500 minimum for each disabled person. Currently, not all disabled Malaysians are entitled to financial aid from the welfare department.
- A study will also be underway shortly to look into changing the local bylaws to penalise people who abuse facilities that are made for the handicapped. These include non disabled persons parking in handicapped spots as well as for building managements that turn disabled toilets into store rooms for mops, buckets and other things.
- The Selangor government will also be looking into ensuring that all buildings – even those with only two or three floors – should be equipped with lifts to assist those in wheelchairs and the aged. One of the methods is to come up with incentives for developers who provide such facilities.